Our Helpful Guide to Moving Home
WITH 4 WEEKS TO GO:
- Arrange to take over gas and electricity at your new address, and make sure that all appliances will be properly fitted.
- Notify your telephone provider and ask them to make the necessary arrangements for a final account at your present address and taking over or installing telephone facilities.
- Arrange for change of address cards to be printed.
- Get estimates from removal companies, checking comprehensive insurance is available against damage or loss, is there a packing and unpacking service? Confirm the date of your move.
- Check on your home contents insurance policies to ensure that you are covered for the move and covered at your new address.
- Make plans for your gas and electricity metres (plus water meters if relevant) to be read and all your appliances to be disconnected on the day of your move.
WITH 2 WEEKS TO GO:
- Begin to throw out unwanted items from attics, wardrobes, etc. Things you don’t really want you might as well throw away now, send to charity, or sell. It’s a great time for a good sort out
- Confirm all arrangements, times, etc. for meter readings disconnections/reconnections, with authorities and with your buyer and seller.
- Make sure you have a good stock of packing materials, including sturdy boxes and plenty of string and sticky tape.
WITH 1 WEEK TO GO:
- Cancel/pay up accounts for routine delivery services such as milk, groceries, newspapers, and fuel. Re-organise these deliveries for your new address.
- Defrost refrigerators in preparation for move and, if you are moving a freezer and its contents, turn it up to maximum for a couple of days before your move.
- Send off change of address cards.
- Arrange and pay for automatic re-direction of your mail by the Post-Office.
WITH 1 DAY TO GO:
- Cover carpets which are being left behind, so to minimise damage during furniture removal.
- Check through previous lists to make sure nothing has been overlooked then enjoy a worry-free night
- Complete your packing except for those items you may need overnight and prepare a picnic for moving day.
- Have cash available to deal with unexpected expenses, and make sure you have collected documents and valuables together in a safe place.
ON MOVING DAY:
- Dismantle any light fittings, etc. not includes in sale.
- Turn off electric appliances, disconnect cooker.
- Turn off boiler / central heating / water.
- Strip beds and pack bedding and night clothes.
- Pack items for washing-toiletries.
- Take down curtains.
- Take up rugs, carpets, floor coverings, as required.
- Read gas and electricity meters.
- Secure all windows and lock all doors.
- On arrival at your new home, unpack slowly, and methodically.
WHO TO NOTIFY:
- YOUR EMPLOYER
- TV LICENCE OFFICE
- SOCIAL OR SPORTS CLUB
- STORES WEHRE YOU HAVE AN ACCOUNT
- ANY OTHER LICENCE OR REGISTRATION HELD
- DOCTOR (if you register with another doctor this is automatic)
- CHILDREN’S SCHOOL
- TRANSFUSION SERVICE IF YOU ARE A DONOR
- HIRE PURCHASE COMPANY
- HEALTH INSURANCE PLAN
- MAGAZINE SUBSCRIPTIONS
- GYM MEMBERSHIP
- WATER / GAS / ELECTRICITY
- COUNCIL TAX
- DRIVING LICENCE AND CAR REGISTRATION
- ELECTORAL REGISTRATION OFFICE
- CAR INSURANCE COMPANY
- OTHER INSURANCE POLICIES
- BANK/BULDING SOCIETIES
- POST OFFICE SAVINGS BANK
- SOCIAL SECURITY OFFICE
- TAX OFFICE
- PREMIUM BONDS OFFICE
- NATIONAL SAVINGS
- CREDIT CARDS
- PHONE PROVIDER
- SATELLITE, CABLE TV PROVIDER
AND REMEMBER, YOUR COMPLETION DATE (MOVING DATE) IS ONLY DEFINITE ONCE YOUR CONVEYANCER HAS CONFIRMED THAT CONTRACTS HAVE BEEN EXCHANGED!